Congratulations, Graduate! You are receiving your degree or certificate!
*** MCC will now host 2 ceremonies on May 10, 2024!!!***
Graduates may choose to attend the 2:00 PM ceremony or the 7:00 PM ceremony.
The Metropolitan Community College Commencement Ceremony is held annually to recognize students who have graduated or will graduate during the current academic year (2023 Fall, 2023-2024 Winter, 2023-2024 Spring and 2024 Summer quarters).
MCC offers 2 time options for participating in this milestone occassion. You may register to attend the 2:00 PM or the 7:00 PM ceremony. If you did not select a time when submitting your original graduation application, you may do so by clicking here.
At MCC, degree confirmation/graduation occurs at the end of each quarter and denotes the completion of a program of study.
Degree confirmation dates:
- 23/SS: 29 August 2023
- 23/FA: 30 November 2023
- 23/WI: 05 March 2024
- 23/SP: 03 June 2024
- 24/SS: 23 August 2024
Degrees, certificates of achievement and career certificates are mailed to qualifying students approximately four to six weeks after the end of each quarter.
Participation in the May commencement ceremony is optional.
2023-24 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Friday, May 10th, 2024 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM
UNO, Baxter Arena
2425 S. 67th St.
Omaha, NE 68106
*** Tickets are not needed and there is no limit to your number of guests. ***
Doors will open at 12:30 PM for the 2:00 PM ceremony. Doors will open at 5:30 PM for the 7:00 PM ceremony.
How to participate in the may commencement ceremony
To ensure your name is listed in the Commencement Ceremony Program - your graduation application must be submitted by April 1st. Your graduation application is submitted for the quarter in which you will be completing your program of study.
Students applying after April 1st - your name WILL NOT be listed in the Commencement Ceremony Program, however you may participate in the ceremony.
- Complete the graduation application. This is the only application you will need to submit to participate. If you plan to participate in the ceremony, please remember to select the time of the ceremony you will be attending.
- A graduation application is required to finalize the completion of your program of study, even if you choose not to participate in the ceremony.
- The graduation application is different than the commencement ceremony in May, which is optional.
- *Note - Students completing their program of study in 24/SS quarter must select the summer quarter graduation application, NOT the 23/SP quarter graduation application.
- Refer to your My Services account to ensure that the status states either Received or Under Review. You will also get an email confirmation once you have submitted your application. If you do not, then your application was not successfully submitted and you must apply again. The email confirmation will be the only communication piece you will receive regarding your graduation application.
- You may purchase your cap, gown and tassel at the MCC bookstores at one of the main campuses nearest to you (Fort, Elkhorn or South Campus). Caps, gowns and tassels will be available for purchase begining April 1st. Caps and gowns are black; tassel is blue. Graduates are required to wear a black cap and gown to participate in the commencement ceremony. The cost to purchase these items will be $41.00. To expedite the process, you may download a QR code from My Hub to your phone. To access your QR code, go to My Hub , log in and open your user drawer by clicking your initial or photo in the upper right-hand corner, then click the QR code symbol (Event Pass).
- *Note - Caps & Gowns WILL NOT be available for pickup at the Baxter Arena.
- For questions about the graduation application process, please contact an academic advisor at any Student Services location, or call 531-622-2400 to make an appointment with an advisor, or visit the graduation application page.
- Graduates: Please reach out to Disability Support Services Counselor Lisa Fleming Haile at email@example.com or 531.622.1416 by Monday, May 6th, to inform us if you need an accommodation.
- If guests need accommodations, please contact Baxter Arena at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about Baxter Arena’s Accessibility Accommodations, visit their website.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT MCC'S COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
The ceremonies will be live-streamed again this year. Please check the graduation webpage the week of the ceremony for the live stream address.
A professional photographer will be there to document the ceremonies. A link will be posted on the webpage when pictures are made available for purchase.
When is the next ceremony?
2023-24 MCC Commencement Ceremony will be held on May 10th. We will have 2 ceremonies, one at 2:00 PM and one at 7:00 PM.
The ceremony is for graduates of the 2023-2024 academic year for the following quarters: 2023 Fall, 2023-24 Winter, 2023-24 Spring and 2024 Summer.
Do I need to register to walk?
Yes. You are registered when you purchase your cap and gown from the bookstore. If you did not select the time of the ceremony you will be attending when you submitted your original graduation application, you may do so by going here.
How do I order my cap and gown?
No advanced orders are required, caps and gowns are available at the MCC bookstores at one of the main campuses nearest to you (Fort, Elkhorn and South Campus) beginning April 1st. ***Caps and gowns WILL NOT be available for pick up or purchase at the arena. ***
Can I decorate my cap?
Yes, as long as it is tastefully done and contained to the top of the cap.
What can honor society members wear?
- Members of Alpha Delta Omega, Kappa Beta Delta, National Technical Honor Society and Phi Theta Kappa are eligible to wear the tassel, pin, sash/stole or medallion of their honor society.
- Contact your honor society chapter for information on ordering. Please see the MCC Organizations webpage for contact information.
How will I know if I graduate with Honors?
- To graduate with honors, a student must earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or above (degrees and certificates of achievement only).
- Honor graduates will receive a gold honors medallion to wear during the ceremony. The medallions will be available for pick up at the ceremony check in at the arena the day of the event.
If you would like to guide us on the pronunciation of your name, you are most welcome!
- Please complete the name pronunciation field on the graduation application. If you have already submitted the application and did not provide this information, please e-mail the Registrars Office (email@example.com) the phonetic spelling of your name with your phone number. A reader will contact you to verify pronunciation, if needed.
Will I receive my diploma at the ceremony?
A diploma cover is used for the ceremony. Diplomas, certificates of achievement and career certificates for each quarter are mailed four to six weeks after the end of the quarter the student is graduating from. For example, if a student has applied for graduation during the fall quarter, his/her diploma will not be mailed until after fall quarter. It is possible that the student has already received his/her diploma or certificate prior to the May commencement ceremony.
Where should my family, friends, and I park?
Please refer to the Baxter Arena parking map and utilize the street entrances suggested. It is highly recommended that you give yourself plenty of time to arrive and park.
Where do I get tickets?
Tickets are not needed. There is no limit to your number of guests and there is open seating.
Will my family be able to take pictures?
- Friends and family are not allowed onto the processional floor.
- Professional photographers will take pictures of the graduates as they receive their awards.
- Additional personal photos may be taken outside of the main arena floor.
What do I do the day of the ceremony?
- If you are attending the 2:00 PM ceremony, the doors will open at 12:30 PM. Graduates must be in place by 1:30 PM to prepare for line-up. If you are not in place by the 1:30 PM line-up time, it is possible you might not be able to participate in the ceremony.
- If you are attending the 7:00 PM ceremony, the doors will open at 5:30 PM. Graduates must be in place by 6:30 PM to prepare for line-up. If you are not in place by the 6:30 PM line-up time, it is possible you might not be able to participate in the ceremony.
- Wear your gown, cap, and tassel. Wear the tassel over the right front of the cap.
- Enter via the main entrance. You will be directed down the side hallway.
- Once seated, graduates will remain in their seats until the end of the ceremony.
- When your name is called, the graduate will walk across the stage to a marked spot, stop and turn to the audience/photographer, then exit the stage.
- A second photograph will be taken off-stage.
- Graduates will then return to their seats until the end of the ceremony.
- Graduates will recess out of the arena to Pomp & Circumstance and will be led directly to the exit.
- Leave coats, purses and other personal items with your guests or family members. The College is not responsible for personal items. The graduates WILL NOT be returning to the pre-ceremony staging area.
For further information about the commencement ceremony, please contact the Registrar's Office at 531-MCC-2353 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For GED graduation ceremony information, please contact:
Adult Basic Education, 531-MCC-2312
2024 Graduation streaming of live event: TBA
2024 Commencement Ceremony photos: TBA