Bob Benzel established this scholarship in 2014 to honor his mother, Ruth Oberndorfer Benzel, who completed her GED after having raised her family; and to also honor his aunt, Clarice Oberndorfer Kuehn, who completed her education with a nursing degree.
Specifically designed with the donor preference to support female GED completers, with children, as they advance to college-level coursework in education or healthcare.
This scholarship is intended for students who are attending MCC for the first time, either full- or part-time; and have demonstrated financial need, as determined through the MCC Financial Aid Office. No minimum GPA is required at initial award, but continued eligibility is dependent on the student maintaining at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA after the first twelve credit hours. If developmental courses are required, a grade of PASS, or other designation indicating successful completion of the developmental course(s), will suffice to evidence satisfactory academic progress.
The scholarship may be used for tuition and fees.
- Must have earned GED within the past 12 months of applying for the scholarship
- Financial need required (determined by MCC through completion of FAFSA)
- Must be a first-time, full- or part-time Metropolitan Community College student
- Must be pursuing degrees or certificates in education or healthcare majors
- No minimum GPA is required at initial award, but must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA after the first twelve credit hours.
Scholarships are usually offered during the spring and fall quarters. Scholarship availability varies depending on donor giving.